Riky Rick – NAFUKWA (Official Music Video) R18LP
We played Bongeziwe Mabandla on our show a while ago and he has a new track out with an artist that also sparked our attention: uSanele.
Tune in to our show on Wednesday and you might very well hear this tune.
First things first: how the hell you pronounce it?
The name itself sounds like the boom of a bassline. Meaning “drum” in Zulu, Gqom is pronounced as a single syllable and starts with a palatal click reminiscent of the rhythmic kick drums of the genre.
Better than trying to explain music, you should just listen to it:
But if you prefer reading, here are some links:
- Gqom, the foot-stomping new sound of South Africa’s townships | Music | The Guardian
- Gqom: A deeper look at South Africa’s new generation of house
Some of the artists we played in episode 2 of our show on Radio Free Tankwa with links to where you can buy their music or follow them on social media:
- A.S. Fanning (not really local but defos worth your support): Bandcamp | Google Play | Apple Music | SoundCloud | Facebook | Instagram
- Runaway Nuns: Bandcamp | Google Play | Apple Music | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- Morena Leraba: Bandcamp | Apple Music | SoundCloud | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Also mentioned on the show (we’ll play their tunes another time):
- Make-Overs: Bandcamp | Google Play | Apple Music | SoundCloud | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- Uncle Righteous: Google Play | Apple Music | SoundCloud | Facebook | Instagram